Lennon'sWifehama ES-100

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 14 May 2003 20:34:24 -0500

George has got the right idea. He gave honest input on a wheel/brand he has
used. He doesn't own or drive on the Potenza's or Toyo's. Good to see first
person experience, instead of "I heard that....", like some of us do.

Bruce hit the nail on the head about the S-03's being rated so high in the
dry and wet... that's what originally drew my interest. The tread print on
the 195's is absolutely huge... 7.3 inches. Despite tirerack having a great
price on them, I'm passing... mostly because of the wear factor and that
they are very heavy. Next up was the Toyo T1-S. Still my favorite, great
wet/dry traction, better tire wear, and the 205/50/15 only weighs 18.5 lb.s.

I guess I also wanted to look "cool". Face it, those 2 tires are super
aggressive lookings. But, I looked in the mirror today, realized I was a
middleaged man with 3 children under 4 and decided: "I don't look cool or
feel cool... I'm just damn tired. Besides, when did my boxers start fitting
me like a g-string?"

Thanks to George and Frank, I've already researched the $'s and availabilty
of the Yoko's ES-100 in the 205/50/15. I save a nice chunk of money... which
will be used to buy a much better set of wheels.

Brian Kiser also reminded me that if I have the stock suspension and no
plans to upgrade within the next year or so, the extra sticky tires(S0-3,
T1-S) will actually make the car lean more and have more body roll... that's
from his personal experience, duly noted.

Besides, I'm not a racer... I just enjoy being "sporty" and having the car
respond well with good input.

Though the Yoko's aren't rated as well in the wet as the S0-3's or Toyo's,
I'm sure they'll function a lot better than my 185/60/14 Dunlop A2 Sports.
My current tires tend to borderline hydroplane on very wet roads, and get
damn squirrely on wet roads when accelerating from a stop... unless I go
grandma slow.

Great responses... another reason I participate in these posts on the list
instead of making a thread on one of the forums.

Later,
Mark