wheel refinishing - powder coating rocks!

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Fri, 9 May 2003 15:17:28 -0500

At 02:53 PM 5/9/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>The wheels look great man!  Did you bake them at low heat for a long time
>or did you use the UV light on them?

Thanks!  I had a local vendor sand blast them bare.  The sand was really
too harsh on the alum. (I was warned it probably would be) so I had to do
some manual smoothing before spraying.  Bead blasting is preferred for alum.

The Columbia Coatings guy recommends pre-heating cast parts for about
10-15min @ 300dF, otherwise air in the pores may expand and bubble through
the coating during curing.  I did that;  sprayed the back and inside and
bead of the wheel,  and partially cured for 15min @ 400.  Then sprayed the
front and O.D.  and cured for 25min @ 400 in the used kitchen oven.

    -Wayne  91 NK2k,  93 NX2k,  92 SE-R-Parts-Car