Wheel Fitment Problems?

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 16:59:05 -0500

I just got off the phone with a modacar.com rep. I had called him to ask
about one of their wheel/tire packages... Rota Slipstream 15x6.5 with Toyo
T1-S 205/50/15.

He said that they've had too many Rota wheels returned to them from people
driving the Classic. I made sure he and I were talking about the same car,
and, we were. He mentioned something about the rear centerbore being too big
for the Rota, and that with any 15" tire, that it hits/rubs at the top...
talking about the rear axle.

He very strongly recommended not buying the Rotas for our vehicles.

What the heck is he talking about? Is there really a big problem in the
community with those wheels on a car that has the stock suspension or was he
confused and thinking about an altered suspension? Plenty of people on the
community use the Rota's... am I just being ignorant?

I called Axis Sports Tuning about the Mag-lite, also, to see about the
fitment issue. They mentioned using a hub adapter(is this the same as
hubcentric rings?) to make their wheel fit(it's the 15x7, 40mm offset).

After using Franks wheel/tire fitment calculator, I'm already panicking
anyway.

Spacers, hubcentric rings, rubbing on the stock spring/struts... all this
from wanting to use a 15x7 or a 15x6.5 wheel with 205/50/15 tires?

I've been doing this way too much... all these knee jerk reactions are
making me dizzy.

Thanks for the help,
Mark