Hypercoil 2 finally installed

Ben Baird ben@polycore-usa.com
Mon, 5 May 2003 15:57:22 -0500

Well the weather was nice enough this last weekend that I managed to get my
AGX's off of my '91 installed with my hypercoil2's installed onto my '92,
and both car back together in record time.  And I didn't break anything,
which is rare for me.  For those that don't know my '91 was in a hit-n-run
accident just before I got my Hypercoils and is now a parts car for the '92.
The '92 suspension now consists of hypercoil2's, AGX's and factory swaybars
with 208k mile bushings (as far as I can tell), and a rear RTR Joel pole
(rear STB).  Even with the condition of the bars and bushings there is
considerable improvement of handling characteristics.  Current AGX setting
have been moved up gradually to F/R 2/4 respectively.  the car is a little
bit jittery at <25 mph on crappy local roads which consist of mine shafts in
place of pot holes.  Freeway bumps and expansion joints are no trouble and
rough terrain is much more quickly dispensed with and traveling speeds.  The
suspension absorbs everything relatively well at anything above neighborhood
speeds.  there is only the single compression and rebound and the suspension
is settled.  No bouncing or unsettled movements as with stock suspension.
The only issue is a noise in the rear passenger area which I believe is
caused by worn spring insulator on the top of the spring ( sound was already
there, but is more pronounced when that corner is unloaded.  I had to reuse
the stock parts as I received the wrong top hats for the rear.  I will fix
that when I get some more time.  Everything fit together fine and initial
impression are that the car behaves with greater control and balance.  The
car is much firmer now, but not in a teeth rattling or kidney jarring way.
The car takes the bump and settles with no commotion unlike stock.  I will
be replacing the rear bar and suspension bushing this summer and that should
complete the package.  I do have pictures of before, after, and during
install and I will try to update my site in the near future.  To bad I can't
find a shop to do a decent alignment but that another story.

I know this is late, but just wanted to say thanks to all of those involved
in making the first Hypercoils2 spring deal a reality.  This is exactly what
I was looking for.

Ben H. Baird
'91 SE-R Entirely stock again
'92 SE-R well on it way