Engine vs. drivetrain removal?

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:57:06 -0500

Chris Allen wrote:

>Better yet. Why are you replacing the chain? You should never have to do
>that unless it somehow got damaged. Even then you can pull the head in the
>car and the timing cover when the engine is in the car.

I neglected to torque the upper chain tensioner bolts when I did my cam
install, so one of them fell into the timing galley and broke the chain.
I assume that the valves are bent as well, so the head has to be swapped.
I'll do the head with the motor in the car, but I think the front cover /
chain would be done quicker and easier with the engine dropped down.
I think I'm going to try to remove the control arms from the chassis, remove
the nuts at the top of the struts, undo the wiring harness, motor mounts and
front crossmember and have the motor on the ground in Mike Jez record time.

Tim Rogers
-93 NX T-top -needs motor work
-91 NX - Racecar-to-be
-75 Silverado - Rusty Beast