trunk lock difficulty

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 19:53:29 -0500

Ok, looked over the trunk lock assembly during lunch time... it's all coming
back to me.

There are to "assembly" areas on the inside of the trunk lid. They are
connected by a thin metal rod. When I was having problems, I wanted to see
if I could get the spring/ratchet motion working so that the rod would
move... this is what unlatches/releases the lock when you turn the key.

I undid the 2 screws and bolt on the rhs assembly, then loosened the screw
on the lhs assembly. I then rotated/moved the rod back and forth to make
sure nothing was binding.

I can visualize what the problem was, but it's hard to describe: the lhs
assembly, where the rod attaches, had slipped in the holding slot. In other
words, there wasn't any room for the rod to push or pull to open the latch.
I don't know if this is because of the spring overlapping or if "slamming"
the trunk gets the rod to move over.

Anyway, I moved it back towards the passenger side, sprayed lithium grease
in everything, then tightened everything down.

It's worked fine for months, now and no problems... very smooth action. Of
course, I'm sure there's a "better" way to do it. And, maybe you should use
something other than lithium grease... it's not what the factory
recommends;).

Later,
Mark