trunk key lock difficulty

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:04:34 -0500

I had the same problem with my '91 Classic. When I bought it from the
original owner, he warned me that it occasionally got stuck. I sprayed WD
40, gum out and a few different things over a period of months... just kept
getting worse.

Eventually, I just loosened and reassembled the lock parts that are inside
the top of the trunk. Sprayed a little lithium grease in there, and
tightened everything down. I think, couldn't quite see all the parts in
there, the spring in there gets loose and allows part of the locking
mechanism to rotate around too far. Thus, when you put your key in the lock,
you're not actually rotating enough or at all. Afterwards, everything has
worked fine... and it's been 3 months.

Hope this helps,
Mark