THOSE WHO USE MOBIL ONE SYN for your SER's

Gerald.Kloth@ipst.edu Gerald.Kloth@ipst.edu
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:59:17 -0500

 > Mobil says every
 > 15,000 mile........ Is that a good idea? Only one oil change a year???

If you want to know for sure, take a sample of your oil at 3,000 miles and
send it to Blackstone Labs for analysis.  When I was driving 1000 X-way
miles per week, their analysis helped me to determine that I should
increase the oil viscosity and change it around 7,500 miles.  I sent them a
sample about every 30,000 miles.  Now I am only driving 400 stop-and-go
miles per week and I sent them a sample after 4,000 miles.  They said I
could go longer, but I choose not to.  However, I am using Castrol Syntec
(5w-50).  I have 216,000 miles on my car and never used or leaked a
drop.  FWIW, the factory oil change interval on my 2000 Ford van is 5,000
miles.  I am using Mobil One in it and the analysis after 5,000 miles
showed it was fine.  YRMV.

Jerry Kloth
'97 Stocker