doing the clutch 92 g20

lrickert@covad.net lrickert@covad.net
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:45:43 -0500

hi folks I am working on installing a new clutch in a 92 g20.  How long do these
normally last in a unmodified nicely driven g20's? (this clutch is totally gone
after just 60k miles!)  We got the tranny out yesterday and have removed the
pilot "bearing" but have run into a couple of problems or at least questions.

>From measuring the input shaft on the tranny and the pilot bearing (the old as
well as the new)  the id of the bearing is 50 thousandths smaller than the shaft
so I take it that the shaft does not actually go into the bearing? That is a
really strange design! I found someone asking about this in the archives but
never found the answer.

Another problem is a really stuck tranny fill plug. My dad had it off last year
but failed to put it back on with anti-seize so it has for all practical
purposes become one with the tranny case. I know one way to do it is weld a
short bolt into the hole and get it with an impact wrench. I don't have the
welder right now so I ground a tool out of very hard steel and tried to use that
but my octagonal tool rounded off in the impact socket. (I needed hexagoal tool
steel) I can wait a day or two and get the welder but is there any better way to
do this? Also where can you get a 10mm square drive bit?

The third and final question is about getting the axels out, the drivers side is
held into the transaxle by some sort of spring clip right? So does that mean you
just pry it apart and replace the clip or is there some way to release the clip
before pulling things apart?

Many thanks

Luke