Crankshaft Position Sensor

Andris Laivins andris@monkey-r.com
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 19:05:26 -0500

> I respectfully disagree.  The CPS sensor is looking for iron
> teeth, which is a fairly dense metal with lots of magnetic field
> interraction.  I thought that Fidanza flywheels had aluminum
> teeth, which have neither said qualities.  The CPS signal can't
> see motion from teeth that it doesn't see, now, can it?

I don't know of any Al flywheels that have aluminum teeth. Do you know what
a starter would do to them?  Aluminum flywheels are usually an aluminum
plate with a steel/iron/Cromo ring gear bolted to the outside.  Same goes for
the engagement surface.  Bolted/riveted on plate.   The CPS doesn't see
motion, it registers the presence of a ferrous metal in front of it.  (if it's a
magnetic sensor)  In any case, having a light flywheel should have zero effect
on its functionality.  It may somehow have gotten out of whack and be too far
away or something to register - they require quite close tolerances to get a
reading.

andris