Nissan acknowledges QR25 catalytic converter disintegrating/oil burning issue

Joshua Gary ewraven@hotmail.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:15:05 -0600

I just called Nissan and verified this.  I honestly thought it was a joke at
first.

"Subject: 2002-2003 Altima/2002 Sentra 2.5 liter exhaust recall campaign.
Nissan is announcing a voluntary safety recall campaign ralated to model
year 2002-2003 Altima and model year 2002 Sentra vehicles equipped with the
2.5 liter engine to correct conditions that could lead to a fire.
*****Condition / Nissan Action*****
For 2002 and 2003 model year Altima vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter
engine, the exhaust pipe hanger pin may catch debris from the road which
could be ignited by contact with the main catalyst.

To correct this condition, the protrudeing portion of the exhaust pipe
hanger pin will be removed.

In addition, for 2002 model year Altima and Sentra vehicles equipped with
the 2.5 liter engine. certain engine operating conditions may cause the
pre-catalyst to overheat and damage the catalyst substrate. if substrate
particles enter the combustion chamber, they may score the cylinder walls,
resulting in increased oil consumption. If the engine oil level is not
checked on a periodic basis as specified in the owner's manual and drops
below the low level, and the driver continues to operate the vehicle
ignoring noticeable engine noise, engine damage may occure which could
result in a fire.

Nissan is now developing plan to address the pre-catalyst on model year 2002
Altimas and Sentra vehicles equipped with 2.5 liter engine. In addition to
the corrective action, in order to reduce the risk of fire in the event of
improper maintenance that could result in oil spillage, heat shield(s) will
be installed on the pre-catalyst and exhaust tube.

This campaign affects approximately 268,000 Nissan Altima and Sentra
vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine in the United States.
*****Owner notification*****

Nissan expects to start to notify owners in late May. The parts required to
complete the repair on retailed vehicles are expected to be available at
that time.

If customers have any further questions, call 1-800-NISSAN-1."

I'm going to be there when they remove my precat/exhaust manifold.  I want
to see first hand if that thing has started disintigrating on my car.  If it
has; I'll get them to borscope the cylinders to check for scoring inside.
That would explain why I've burned some oil recently.

joshua
98 Frontier 2wd
02 Sentra SE-R Spec V