Long gears for turbo cars

Jay Whitely jwhitely2000@yahoo.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:04:06 -0600

Hey guys,

>From the Honda crowd, I keep hearing that it is
favorable to have longer gears on a turbo car.  I
understand that the longer gears put more load on the
turbo, but aren't shorter gears better for
acceleration?

Which way would be better? I am asking as I am
considering using 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears from a G20
gearbox in my 200SX tranny.  These G20 gears are
longer than the 200SX gears.  I know the longer 5th
gear will give better cruising gas mileage and make
for a more comfortable ride at lower RPM, but
acceleration in 5th will be less than with the shorter
gear.

Thanks for your input,

=====
Jay Whitely