Strange sound coming from engine area.

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 06:36:47 -0600

Okay,

I have this strange very light ticking showing
up at different rpms, it likes to rear it's head
when I apply a little throttle.  It sounds like a light
ticking, I thought it might be a valve.  Someone else
I know said he thought it was definitely a rod.
Yet another person said he thought it was no more
than an exhaust leak.  The lower end has around 50k, tops
on it, and I only hit redline, maybe twice a month.
I have a really hard time believing it's a rod bearing.

The sound does remind me a wee little bit of a 4 cylinder
I heard with a big hole in the downpipe, the sound goes away
entirely, or I just can't hear it after 4000rpm.

It doesn't sound nearly deep enough to be a rod knock,
but the guy suggested that the rod bearings might be loose
by .001" or so.

I'm going to crawl under/pop the hood and see if I can find a leak
in the meantime, but I'd really like some input from you motor guys.
--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.