Emissions (long - but need advice on somthing new)

EEYORE5182@aol.com EEYORE5182@aol.com
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 16:26:17 -0600

Hello all,
First, Geo - sorry to hear about the G20.  Glad your safe.  Long live King
"lucky" Turd.

Anyway, to my dilemma..

About a year ago I put on a new hotshot header.  Although I do have the
opening for the EGR tube, I didn't have an opening for a PAIR valve tube.
So, I left it off.
I went to get emissions done almost a month ago and failed, horribly. here
are my #'s

at 15 MPH

gas:        Limit     Reading       Result
HC ppm   141       186              Fail
CO%       0.79      0.41             Pass
NO ppm   1088      2362           Fail

At 25 MPH

HC ppm    136      167             Fail
CO %       0.76     0.38            Pass
NO ppm    984      2365           Fail

I just changed my cap and rotor and both the mechanic and I agree that doing
that would probably fix the HC problem.  No biggie.
I assume the NO problem is due to the lack of a PAIR valve.  So, I know I
need to hook this back up, somehow.  Here are my thoughts.

Idea #1 - make a spacer, about 1.5" with flanges on it, and weld in a piece
of copper tubing.  put spacer in between secondary and cat, and run a tube up
to the PAIR valve.

Idea #2  - Take secondary to a machine shop, and have them weld in a fitting
for the PAIR valve tube.

recently, (same weekend that i did the header) i put in a new catco cat, and
i have also cleaned my O2 sensor using the torch and heating it up and
cleaning the crust off.  plug wires (stock size) where put on about a year
ago, as well as a new cap and rotor this weekend.  so, I'm assuming that
cleaning out the EGR tube, hooking the PAIR valve up would help me get there.
(what the heck does that thing do anyway..i know its emissions equipment, but
still, I have no idea).  any other thoughts on this and the new PAIR valve
tube placement?

Alex
'93 NX2k