How much is this car worth?

Randall Rensch randy@rensch.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:46:29 -0600

Sorry about the length here, but I don't know any shorter way to explain
this...

I'm suing New York City for selling without notice what they found left of
my stolen '92 classic last year.

But I'm finding it hard to demonstrate what the remains might have been
legitimately worth, wholesale.

I've tried get a figure from recyclers, but once they find out why I want to
know this, they have a conflict of interest. And, not having wheels again
yet, it's kind of hard to do over the phone anyway.  I checked with
suppliers mentioned at SE-R.net (of, for example, engines), but they said
I'm
talking used parts, they're talking rebuilt, and they don't buy used parts
directly so they don't know.

So, if anyone on the list can give me a knowledgeable estimate, that could
be helpful, if only for determining my own position. Please reply to the
list or by
private email (we can make it public later if it's helpful). Case comes up
in mid-March, so the sooner the better. I'll need to adjust the figure(s) to
reflect Nov 2001, and remember... wholesale.

Unfortunately, all I have to indicate the car's condition is a standard
checklist Sanitation probably spent all of 15 seconds filling out. It's open
wide interpretation, so high and low estimates to cover best and worst case
scenarios might be easiest.  Individual part values would be interesting,
but I suppose the court will require me to talk in terms of salvage value as
a whole (that is, what the city would/should have got for it).

Of course, if instead you can point me to sources that I can check myself,
that would help, too.

DAMAGE:
 -- Body Damage, extensive front damage, nose cone missing (best case: could
these all be the same thing?)
 -- Exterior Stripped (best case: maybe this is just be the body damage
mentioned above?)
 -- Interior Stripped (best case: Could just be one or two seats taken?)
 -- Engine Compartment Parts Missing, but engine still there and NOT
stripped (best case: maybe just the Optima battery was taken?)
 -- Trunk Lid Missing
 -- Four Wheels Missing

STILL PRESENT:
Roof
Doors
All glass
Engine and Transmission, intact, no parts missing

STATUS UNKNOWN:
New exhaust system (flex pipe and back, but re-used my old cat)
Suspension (original springs, low-mileage AGXs... or would suspension be
part of
"nose cone")

NOTES:
--  Car was stock '92 Classic except as noted, 92K miles, treated well
 -- Car was NOT described as a "shell"
 -- No burn damage
 -- No rust or rot
 -- Except for the missing deck lid, no extensive rear damage
 -- No extensive left or right damage
 -- Hood not indicated as missing (unless that's part of "nose cone")
 -- No fenders missing (unless front fenders are part of "nose cone")
 -- Air bags irrelevant (not an airbag car)

If you have any question or other suggestion, please post or email.  I think
it's important that this case demonstrates that the city can't just sell a
stolen car that it finds without even passing along the proceeds, as it is
required to do by NYS law.

Randy R
(was a) '92 Classic