My car misfires, idles poorly, runs rich and it failedemission - please help!

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 14:40:35 -0600

Fred L wrote:

<snip>

> Please help me solve this problem.

Replace the cap/rotor, set timing to 19 degrees BTDC,
replace plug wires with stock from discount Nissan dealer
like www.mossy.com.

After this stuff is done and timing's set per Mike Kojima's
very succintly documented method, leave the negative terminal
of your battery disconnected overnight just to be safe.

After that, if your car runs rich, or you have smoke coming out
of the tailpipe, something is significantly wrong.

It could be as little as a head gasket, or as much as a motor/head rebuild.

At that point a 35-40k swap is ideal for cost effectiveness,
a longblock rebuild will cost you 5x as much unless you can
do the rebuild, and all the relevant machine work yourself.

I doubt it, since your asking for help troubleshooting this.

I'm sure someone else has other things to add, I'd reset the ecu
as my first priority, although on second thought, it almost sounds
like the MAF is disconnected, or you had the car on with the MAF
disconnected, and haven't reset the ECU since.

Try doublechecking the underhood connections,
and resetting the ECU first.  Good luck.

Pete

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.