Tools

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 05:46:02 -0600

hlava wrote:
I was kind of po'd. I have very little use for the standard sockets. Plus,

> the sockets for sparkplug removal is only in standard, though there are
> other deep sockets in metric.

PO'd?  Why - the spark plug stuff is only SAE, ever, that I've seen.
When your metric starts to round off, sometimes a slightly undersize sae
holds grip.  Need a half inch - a 13mm works on low torque apps, no prob.

Need a 7/16ths - grab the worlds most useless metric other than as a
7/16th stand-in, the underrated 11mm.  Look at an equivelency table
that shows the sae stuff in thousandths, and then tell me again what your
problem with a mixed set is?

> Oh well, back to the search. Maybe it's God's way of telling me that maybe
> it's not a good idea for me to work on my own car ;)

I doubt it, more like God's way of telling you to do some more research before
you go out and overlook something obvious ;)

I don't have a table handy, but I'm sure you can track one down, and then
go get your mixed set, IIRC, almost all the combo sets are mixed, unmixed ones
are usually a bit more expensive, if available at all, and worthless.  If you
need
2 half inch wrenches, having a half and a 13mm usually works great.  Otherwise,
you need a couple wrench sets.  Just get the combo :P