Blown rod (?)

Gerald.Kloth@ipst.edu Gerald.Kloth@ipst.edu
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:02:10 -0600

>For about a half year now, my 93 senta se-r has been making an odd tick-tick
>noise from the engine bay. Its been getting worse and a few days ago, the
>noise got really loud and the car became undrivable. It would stall at idle
>and make ugly vibrations and noises. I took it to the shop and they think its
>a blown rod. They want to put in a new engine, which will cost about 1000,
>plus another 1000 for installation. So I need a second opinion on a few
>things.

>Do you guys think it is a blown rod? or could it be just a broken belt or
>something else and the shop is BS'ing me?

How well do you know/trust this "shop".  What is a "blown rod"?  Usually a
"thrown rod" comes apart and pieces come through the side of the block or
oil pan.  The engine quits running immediately.  A bad rod bearing makes a
dull knocking sound, like a hammer on a rock, usually while revving
up.  How long has it been since you had a good tune-up with new ignition
wires?  Bad wires can make the noise that you describe and cause the
problems you describe.  How about the fuel injectors?  They make a ticking
sound while running normally.  How has the gas mileage been?  There are no
belts in the engine, only a timing chain.  The chain could be making the
noise, especially if the tensioner is bad.  It may have jumped a
tooth.  But that is an immediate thing, not something that gets worse with
time.  I think that you need a second opinion.  Also, check around
regarding replacement engines.  I think imported engines can be had for
much less money with many fewer miles on them.
Just my $.02

Jerry Kloth
'97 with 212,000 miles and normal sounds