Micropolishing crank journals

P@ bossman@customsteel.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 16:13:49 -0600

> I am having my crankshaft micropolished locally.
> Instead of using polishing balls, this machine shop
> uses polishing belts. I would like to know if either
> method is preferred for the best job possible.

Polishing belts will achieve a better polish than what you described below.
It is tough to get a uniform controlled finish this way, on a microscopic
level anyway, but that wont matter.

> Ceramic coating shops polish their parts in a large
> vat filled with plastic polishing balls, soap, and
> water.  Would this work?

This known as mass finishing, via a vibratory tumbler of sorts.
Advantage...controlled surface removal/burnishing.  Downside, its tough to
do large complex items such as a crankshaft, because the *vat* has to be
large enough for the crankshaft to *tumble* freely.  It also depends on the
type of media...ceramic, SS shot, plastic, quartz, etc..etc...  We have
small disk finishers here, very similar but more agressive with the tordial
action the media and parts move in.

P@
www.customsteel.com
99' G20 with some mods....