Road Race report for Feb-08 - 09

Grover Pickering grover@webcepts.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:29:42 -0600

> C4 Corvette, Porsche 911RS 3.8

I have to say that chasing them for the
first few laps was the biggest blast.  The C4
is raced by the guy who runs the local NASA
region.  The Porsche is run by a lady who runs
Motorsport Ranch all the time.  It is also stripped
and quite will prepared.

I was able to keep up with them and occasionally
stick a nose underneath.  I think this was mostly
due to the ability to get heat in my tires quicker
that their huge Hoosiers.  It was also amazing
to see the SE-R make up time in the turns.
Afterall, a FWD car should be slower, right?

The other thing that was even more dramatic
was braking.  I could catch up by close to 3
car lengths on the Z06 when braking for the
tight turns at the end of the straight.  This is on
stock SE-R brakes remember (no NX brakes
allowed in ITS on an SE-R).

I have to attribute much of this to a solid
weight advantage and a well sorted car.  It
barely put a wheel wrong all weekend.  I did
manage to overcook it a few times and get the
back end way out.  But, keeping my foot on
the throttle was all that was needed.

It was fun having the radios to keep up with lap
times, spinning cars, and to reduce boredom
when no cars were around.  I think they would be
fun to have between (friendly) competitors too.
If nothing else, to harass each other.

Thanks George and Bruce for crewing.  This
is the first time we've had the car so prepared when
we hit the track.  It was a nice change to my past
ills.

We will have some race pics up on the web soon

Grover
'92 SE-R ITS/PS1
http://www.nissport.com