Battery Relocation

Brian Jones jonesbri@cox.net
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 20:46:23 -0600

> After you disconnect the 2 main positive leads off the
> battery where do
> most of you bolt them? It was suggested to me to extend them
> and connect
> them all to the starter. Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Well there was two ways that I did this...

1)  Got a terminal kill switch from J/C whitney...forgot
Exactly what it was called...anyways it has a terminal
End on it like a battery post and an end to screw down
A ring end.  So I kept the old battery terminal on the
Positive wire harness to the car and connected the wire
That ran down to the back of the car on the ring terminal
End.  I then put that whole assembly in a radio shack
Circuit board type block protection box.  This was it kept
>From someone touching it and maybe getting a little shock
And also from water/debris getting all over it.

2)  Kept that same black little hard plastic box and now
I cut off the batter terminal to both positive wire harnesses
And put nice big monster cable ring terminals on the end of them
All and a bolt through them and tightened them up so its just
A stack of connections together.  I guess I could get a
Nice distibution block type thingie and really do a nice
Fuse-protected linkage.  But so far its working great.

The only thing I have considered doing is actually upgrading the
Gauge wire that goes to the alternator...anyone do this?

-Brian Jones
93.5 G