NX Vibrations when accelerating

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:51:22 -0600

"Bourdin, Vincent" wrote:

<snip>

> So my question is: could the boots not attached to the joint be the sole cause
> of these vibrations? (please say yes, I don't feel like spending lots of $ in
> replacing other expensive things in that area).

<snip>

Yes, once the boots are compromised, the
joints fail rather quickly due to loss of lubrication,
and the rather abusive introduction of dirt and debris
from the road.  This is probably going to be much
worse in the winter than the summer, if you get snow/ice,
and the associated sand/salt mix.  That stuff eats metal like
pirahna on a cow in the amazon..

There are replacement cv axles available from www.raxles.com
for around $300 for the set (left/right).

Or you can spend $120-150 a set for vastly inferior,
and prone to short term replacement auto parts store
rebuilds that you'll probably end up having fitment
problems with, or have the lazy mechanic replace half
the axle, leaving the original inner cv assembly in the car.

Do it once, do it right, make sure it gets done right,
you won't probably won't have to do it again unless
your lower your car more than 1 3/4 inches.
My car has 141k on them, and that's basically what
raxles sells, brand new axles - the stealership is
probably a lot more on them, nobody buys the
axles there.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.