Passenger Drive Axle and tranny question (long, sorry...)

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:48:03 -0600

Andy Kunkle wrote:

" First I went to NAPA, and they got one that *looked*
right, but when I got home and tried to install it, the intermediate
shaft portion of it seemed about 1/2" too long. So, figuring they
sent me the wrong axle by accident, I got them to order me up
another one. When that one came in, same problem. It looked
a little different, and measured 1/4 inch shorter (although it had
the same part number??!) so it still leaked."

I had the same problem with my '93 NX.  The axles that I got from NAPA and
Advanced Auto Parts were just a little too long on the passenger's side
inboard shaft such that they did not allow the bearing carrier bracket to
bolt onto the engine block.
I ended up getting the original axle rebuilt at a local shop with a lifetime
warranty and a perfect fit.
The other option that I would explore would be Raxles.
I have heard nothing but good things about their product and since they only
use new bearings and cages (and give a lifetime warranty), they would be a
great choice since you are boosting.

Tim Rogers
-93 NX T-top -needs wiring work
-91 NX - Racecar-to-be
-75 Silverado - Rusty, going to be sold
-01 Astro - Company Van and future Tow Beast