Passenger Drive Axleand tranny question (long, sorry...)

Andy Kunkle andy@tag-tag.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 20:43:16 -0600

Hey again guys,

I have 2 questions actually...

Well, if you have a good memory, you'll probably recognize
the subject. I've now been dealing with this same problem
for well over 2 weeks now.

Problem:
    It seems that no matter what, auto parts stores hate me.

I have tried for all this time to get the correct passenger-side
drive axle. First I went to NAPA, and they got one that *looked*
right, but when I got home and tried to install it, the intermediate
shaft portion of it seemed about 1/2" too long. So, figuring they
sent me the wrong axle by accident, I got them to order me up
another one. When that one came in, same problem. It looked
a little different, and measured 1/4 inch shorter (although it had
the same part number??!) so it still leaked.

Then, I went to Discount Auto parts, they ordered me up an axle,
and it was *completely* wrong. It didn't even have the metal seal
that the other ones come with, nor did it have the bolt holes to bolt
it to the support braket.

Now, my question is has anyone had this kind of problem trying to
get an axle? Where have you all gotten your axles (remanufactured
if possible) from in the past? They must just have the wrong part
number or something listed by the distributor.

I do have a GTi-R engine in my car, but my old axle fit in there
perfectly. Does anyone have a part number for the passenger
drive axle for a 1991 SE-R? I believe the one that both stores
use is 7252...

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'm sure you can imagine what
situation I'm in. Now, not only can no one seem to find the right
axle for me, but I also don't have my old one (thanks to napa
sending it away). Seems like I'm screwed?

And my other question deals with the Gti-R transmission. I was
wondering if the shaft and countershaft would fit into the SE-R
tranny. I'm wondering this because after getting this gti-r engine
working I've heard of it having a lunch with 3rd gear... I was
thinking since I have another complete set of gears, could I
send those away and get them cryo-treated and shot-peened
and then put them in my tranny...

Alright guys, I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

Andy K
91 SE-R
Gti-R engine... with brand new T-28 for free!