... non-starting issues

Ben Fenner fenfam@attbi.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:41:48 -0600

>when you try to start it you will get a solitary crank the first time and
only a >solenoid cliking thereafter.

Sounds exactly what happened to my car when the alternator went.
I couldn't believe it was the alternator, and kept trying to find a
different culprit. I blamed it on frayed wires, bad battery, ect. The reason
for this is that all other cars I've been in (Volvo, Dodge, ect.) and had
the alternator go, it's been the same symptoms. Our cars act funny when the
alternator goes, and now I know what to look for.

> Previously the same thing happened and it was a shredded alt. belt, but
this
> time the belt is fine.

Same symptoms you'd get from a bad alternator I'd guess.

> 1) Starter is seized, or for whatever reason internal resistance is too
high, and
> the engine can't crank past the resistance.

Or in my case, I thought the wiring was too frayed to get the amperage to
the starter. Not the case.

> 2) alternator is bad, as in physically seized. I checked the voltage at
the
> alternator and it was fine, and at any rate the battery should start the
car
> anyway, bad alt. or not.

I'd bet the battery is close to empty. Yes it will power the lights and
everything else fine, but I bet if you jumped the car, it would start.

>Ron Atteberry's suggestion was to loosen the alt. a good amount and see if
it
> will start then.

Sounds like a hope and a dream. =)

> No. 1 does not jive with the died-suddenly- while-running, the second one
does.

Yup

-Ben
1994 Sentra SE-R