shift points

Brian Cembor bcembor@fastenal.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:57:37 -0600

I am trying to figure out why I am getting such bad gas mileage. I have
changed O2 sensors and currently have the EGR disconnected. I know I need to
clean the TB and the EGR tube, just too damn cold to do right now.

One other thing I thought might be contributing is my driving technique. For
city driving I usually shift around 3000-4000rpm depending on gear and time.
First is usually 4k and 2nd 3500, 3rd 3k-3500, 4th 3k and 5th 3500.
Unfortunately I usually tool around town in 4th at about 45-50mph. I had
read somewhere (forums?) that shifting to 5th below that can contribute to
5th gear pop-out so I don't shift until about 55mph or so..

What is the list's experiences and advice here??

Btw- I know my blown struts are contributing...

Brian M. Cembor
92 SE-R