(no subject)

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter@hotmail.com
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:24:28 -0600

"Michael Jez" <93SER@attbi.com> blundered:

>Bzzzzt WRONG. SR20 is internally balanced piece of beauty, U can remove the

BZZZT!  WRONG!  The purpose of the 'balancer' is to damp the rotational
crank transients produced while the engine is rotating.  Without the damper
you run the risk of exciting any number of self-resonant torsional modes on
the crank.  Left unlimited these will overstress and contribute to crank
failure by basically permitting it to be twisted apart.  The damper helps to
limit the extent of these transients.  A damper is needed on any engine,
even one with a perfect static balance.

U shoUld know better, don't U know?  Let me be the first to tell U.  If U
have any doUbts I can provide U-seful SAE docUmentation to satisfy UR
cUriosity.  Let that be a lesson to U.

If you would cease using the abbreviation "U" for "you" then all will be
forgiven.

By the way I noticed that some of these underdrive pulleys didn't come with
drilled/tapped holes to permit easy (or at least simple) removal.  Has
anyone tried to get them off the shaft yet?  Using a traditional jaw-type
puller on the soft aluminum doesn't seems wise...

-Bill:)
'92 Classic w/ 165Kmi and climbing...
Pokes a stick at Jez this one time since he's not U-sually wrong.