Front cover removal with motor in the car.

Thomas Reynolds fthomasr@bellsouth.net
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 22:47:08 -0600

Geo wrote:
>You don't have to worry about the head gasket as much in that portion of
the block since it's
>not under intense pressure.

I have done this on a RWD DET recently. You are correct about the head
gasket part, I was greatly concerned about it, but it was not a problem at
all.

Reason why I am responding to this is to remind you if already you didn't
know:
**There are two bolts under the valvecover in front of the sprockets that
bolt the head to the timing cover!

If you forget this (which is easy to do, and no I didn't :) when you try to
yank the cover forward you greatly risk damaging the cover, the head, and
those bolts because you have a lot of leverage pulling the cover from the
bottom out. It's easy to think that the cover is just 'stuck' and you just
need to yank harder! Not so.

If you look at the timing cover, you'll see two slight bulges in it, which
are the bolt bosses.

Thomas
'97 200SX SE-R
F-Max Stage II Turbo