Front cover removal with motor in the car.

Bill the arcstarter arcstarter@hotmail.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 22:17:12 -0600

<lgmolina@ucdavis.edu> asks:

>Has anyone removed the front cover with the motor in the car?

We did it with the engine in the car, and it is possible.  Not fun, but very
possible.  Their was one bolt which was difficult to find - I suggest
counting them and copmparing against the fsm to be sure you got them all.

Also in the process of removing the inner/upper oil pan I neglected to
remove the two small nuts under the small access plate (as per the fsm).
These nuts tie into the rear main seal retaining plate.  When I forced off
the upper pan using the jack-bolts I busted the rear main seal - thus
necessitating a transectomy to fix that.

I would suggest not forgetting those two nuts. :)

The head does not have to come off. I'd tell you more but that was some time
ago and I can't recall much more about it.

-Bill
'92 Classic @ 165Kmi
Various mods including 2 ft worth of crack in my windshield...
HEY I got a new machine tool!  A 1600 lb vertical mill.  Now I get to use it
to fix the sick lathe...