Spec-V Chassis enhancements

cowboydren@b15sentra.net cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 18:40:34 -0600

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 09:17:12AM -0600, Jeff B wrote:

> Fairly new to list so bear with me if I repeat something.

Have you seen http://www.b15sentra.net/ ?  Not as tech-heavy as it used
to be, but still good stuff once in a while.

> 1. Anyone know of or recommend rear strut brace?

Nobody makes one as a production unit yet.

> 2. How about a Front tower brace that ties into firewall for
> triangulation?

Ditto.

> 4.Recommendations on struts/springs from various manufacturers?  At
> present, do not want to go the coil-over route.

Don't exist yet.  Your stock springs are stiffer than any aftermarket
unit that has a published rate.  You're right around 325/375 lbs/in
(F/R); the previous best aftermarket springs from Progress are 190/240.
Cool, huh?  The problem is that the Spec-V is seriously under-damped
according to people who seem to know what they're talking about.  There
are currently no aftermarket dampers available except those in full-on
coilover kits.

Progress and Intrax have very good springs for the B15; about the same
rates, about the same drops.  People with Spec-Vs have had EXCELLENT
results by "stepping down" in rates to these units.  Transient response
is a little softer, but the car becomes soooo much more livable by
losing the nasty bounce, plus the lower center of gravity probably helps
in a roundabout way.  *Theoretically,* the stock dampers should last
longer, too.  I wrote all about this stuff in a FAQ on the B15 Forum
above.:)

> I realize that the Spec-V still is limited in parts availability,

Correction; the B15 has limited parts availability.  We're all in the
same boat, brother, regardless of power plant.

> current manufacturers of earlier SE-R parts hopefully will start updating
> soon.  Any and all input is welcome and feel free to contact me off-list

Wish in one hand and want in the other, see which one fills up first.
Fortunately, the aftermarket *has* actually responded to QR25-powered
B15s better than SR20-powered cars, but we're all waiting.

--
-=|JP|=-        "It's like a koala crapped a rainbow in my brain..."

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |