Horn and Cruise with a Momo wheel?

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:39:33 -0600

Brett, <barinker@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I just purchased a 94 classic to replace my recently dearly departed 92
>(moment of silence).  Well the new car has a momo competition steering
>wheel which the previous owner installed.  He was never able to get the
>horn to work.

>I would like to get the horn working and wire up the cruise control.  I've
>got a FSM but I'm not the greatest at reading the wiring diagrams, and am
>struggling a bit with some of the abreviations, etc.  Has anyone tried to
>do this?  I'd appreciate any help I can get.  I really don't want to put
>the OEM wheel back on the momo is so nice.

I have installed a MOMO wheel with cruise control on my 91 G20 and will be
doing so on my 91 SE-R (whenever that paperweight starts moving
again).  It's fairly straight-forward on the 91/92, but a little trickier
on the 94 because of the airbag (not sure about the 93).

Jim Schumacher has installed a MOMO Competition in his 94 and he retained
the cruise.  I don't think Jim has the cruise switch on the wheel however
(I do).  One of the issues you will run into is the fact that the airbag
equipped cars use a spiral cable to engage the horn and cruise.  When you
remove the spiral cable you can modify the wiper stalk so it will engage
the connector ring on the back of the MOMO hub adapter fairly
easily.  You'll need a small spring, such as from a click type ball point
pen and something metallic for it to push up against the connector
ring.  That mush is fairly straight forward.  You could probably modify the
wiring harness to hook up the cruise the same way I did for my 91.

This is what I did for my 91:

First I removed the contact ring from the MOMO adapter.  Then I cut off the
little ring cast into the back of the adapter.  I drilled a hole on the
inside of the adapter for the cruise control connector to fit through.  You
can drill a smaller hole and elongate it with a file (this is what I did
actually).  Then I took off the stock (91/92) horn ring off the OEM wheel
and cut the mounting bosses off the back so the back of the ring was
flush.  I removed the wiring connector and cut the spades off the back as
well.  Then I soldered the wires directly to the correct rings (use a
continuity tester just to make sure you have the correct rings).  I wrapped
the very center of the back of the MOMO hub with a little friction tape for
the end of a tennis racquet (HD stuff) that I cut to the right height to
make the fit between the MOMO hub and the stock ring a bit tighter.  I
passed the wiring through the hole in the MOMO hub and ran a bead of RTV
around he mating surface of the OEM horn ring and the MOMO hub and I just
pressed the OEM ring in place and let the RTV dry.

For the steering wheel switch, I got a U12 (Stanza) switch and made a
bracket from 1/4" ABS plastic to attach the switch to the steering
wheel.  I drilled and tapped the steering wheel to attach it, but with my
MOMO wheel (Runner) it has a cover for the center to cover the
screws/holes.  I would probably make a different sort of bracket for you
wheel that attached to the hub.

There are the basics.  Probably sounds confusing at first, but once you get
all the parts in one place it will start to make sense.  Plan well and have
patience.  Works great.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
http://www.nissport.com