SR20DET choices.

Ben Fenner fenfam@attbi.com
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 22:41:29 -0600

>Rods and blocks are the same on all DETs and DEs
> but the GTiR which is stamped 54C.

So the rods, pistons and block on a GTi-R are different/stronger? If I put
the rods and pistons from the GTi-R in my DE I would have the same
compression ratio as the GTi-R, and some of the strength, minus the stronger
block? How important would the stronger block be if I'm looking for no more
than 350 WHP?

>Its alot cheaper just to make your own
> DE-T than buying a DET.

I think that's what I'm leaning towards unless someone can come up with a
reason the GTi-R engine would be a substantially better option. (Individual
throttle bodies are nice, but not neccisary?)

>U can pick up a RWD S13 T25 with a
> manifold for 220 bux off ebay, injectors for 100-150 bux- depending on how
> new they are, run a stock ECU, get a starion cooler for 100 bux, get
piping
> made for another 250 bux with a downpipe, and U can make a kit for less
than
> 900 bux.

I would certainly do things a bit better than this. I'll have a JWT ECU,
Spearco Intercooler, T28 or T3/T04E turbo, ect.

Speaking of T3/T04E turbos. Can I use this turbo with the OBX turbo headers,
or is the flange on those only usable by the T25 and T28?

OBX turbo headers URL:
http://www.obxracingsports.com/performance.cfm?catID=3&subcatID=21

Also, how do I go about obtaining a manifold with the correct flange for a
T3/T04E?

>Unless U want mega power then
> build a US DE with some goodies internally and mean TO4E on it which is
> still cheaper than upgrading a BBird to the same power levels U would
achive
> with a US DE.

It sounds like I can still get "mega" power from the DE in my car now. I'm
not looking for that 400+ whp, but aside from the stronger block of the
GTi-R and the 4 throttle bodies, I don't see a difference between that
engine and the theoretical one I've described in this e-mail.

Please someone correct my assumptions =)

-Ben
1994 Sentra SE-R