EGR and Smog Legal

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 13:41:24 -0600

The reason that Wayne saw no increase in his emissions with his EGR
disconnected is that the EGR system is in place to reduce:
"Nitrogen oxides, or NOx, are emitted when fossil fuels are burned. NOx
combine in the presence of sunlight with other organic compounds to form
ground-level ozone, or smog. Smog is a powerful lung irritant that can
exacerbate asthma and other respiratory problems. It is especially harmful
to those who already suffer from respiratory diseases, children and the
elderly."
That was taken from http://www.secomo.org/air/facts.html
Not all states or counties test for NOx, which is why Wayne's car passed.
I had a similar problem to Shell's that was caused by a bad BPT.  My car
passed with flying colors when I replaced it, and that is on a car with a
2.5" free-flowing exhaust.

Tim Rogers
-93 NX T-top -needs wiring work
-91 NX - Racecar-to-be