Resurfacing head for metal head gasket

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 12:19:35 -0600

At 11:56 AM 12/8/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>I am trying to figure out why different gasket thicknesses change cam
>timing?  Is it just some distance difference from the gear on the crank
>which drives the timing chain and the cam gears?

Yup, that's all.  Imagine if the cams in just the right spot, with the
chain in tension.  If you lowered the head by some amount, you'd have slack
in the chain.  You would have to turn the cams backward (ie: retard them)
to take up the slack.

If the cam gear is about 4" diameter, then its circumference is ~
12.6".  One degree is 1/360 of that or 0.035".  So milling 0.010 off the
head or deck would move the cam timing about 1/3 degree.

    -Wayne    '91 NX2k - '93 NK2k - '92 SE-R parts car