EGR fix attemps fail

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 07:26:11 -0600

First off, I, and from what I've heard, almost everyone who still has EGR has
suffered through this very unrewarding task without feeling terribly successful.

Nobody else I know of has had to cut the tube, as far as I know..

Okay, the coat hanger needs help to snake down the bpt feeder tube, like a
cordless drill - since you cut the tube, that's not an issue anymore.

The hole in the BPT tube is something like 1/2 to 1/4 the diameter of the coat
hanger - it's never going to go through.

If you take off the bolt, and continue spraying some heavy duty
de-carbonizer like carb or throttle body/intake cleaner down it
until you see some coming through the hole in the bpt tube inside
the bpt fitting on the head.

You'll only be able to see this under the bolt that's just above where the tube
enters the head.

Basically, fill what's left of the tube with carb cleaner -
since you cut the tube, the carb cleaner straw should
make it the whole distance that's left.

Ram and swirl coat hanger, spray cleaner on the end of the tube under the bolt.

Take right angled pick and pick the hole under the bolt, by attacking the
carbonization from both sides, you speed the whole thing up quite a bit.

Let the whole thing soak 15 minutes, have some lunch.
Repeat until you can spray through the hole and see carb
cleaner coming through under the bolt.

You'll still never have more than a tickle of exhaust pressure -
the bpt valve doesn't get a good charge via this tube -
I guess it doesn't need much.

Lastly this thing is pretty simple, but my '92 for instance,
took something like 10 tries to get it clear - supposedly if
you do it every oil change, it only takes one quick shot.

Good luck - don't cut your car anymore.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.