Resurfacing head for metal head gasket

Robert Legere rlegere@snet.net
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 11:47:20 -0600

--- Jay Whitely <jwhitely2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
> I have been told that I need a very smooth finish
> when using a metal head gasket.....

*****Yes, metal gaskets do not have a high degree of
imbeddability (sp?), and can't conform to surface
irregularities as well as a composite gasket. Tell the
machinist to use a much slower feed rate on his head
surfacer. Making a 'quick' pass will leave the rougher
surfacer you described. There are also options for
cutters, I prefer carbide cutters to stones, but
they're a lot more expensive. Also, did you use any
sealer on the gasket? I like to use Permatex spray
copper sealer on metal gaskets, it helps to seal
potential fluid leaks.

Bob