Non-SE-R: GM OHV engines

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:47:12 -0600

George Roffe wrote:
> SUVs have been around a lot longer than the EPA and NHTSA.

Yes, but they only have been *popular* in the last 10 to 15 years.

>> SUVs are trucks. SUVs do not have to
>> follow the same regulations as station wagons in terms of safety and fuel
>> economy, therefore they are cheaper to make and sell at a higher profit.
>> The automakers realized this in the 70s, think how many station wagons
you
>> see today.

This is very true.  Trucks and SUV's do not have to meet the same
regulations as passenger cars, because Detroit cried to Capitol Hill back in
the early 1970's and said "Hey, we sell trucks mostly to poor farmers who
can't afford a price increase on their 'work vehicles'.  If we hold trucks
and SUV's to the same regulations, the farmers will go out of business and
we will all starve!!!"

> This is basic Econ 101.  It doesn't matter what it costs to build the
> damned things.  What matters is what the consumers demand in the
> marketplace.  Somewhere along the line SUVs became sexy for some reason (I
> don't get it).

But it does matter what those things cost, George.  If this is Econ 101,
then the price at which an SUV can be sold is based on what the market will
bear in relation to its perceived value.  (I may be able to produce a
$60,000 pencil, but no one is going to buy it because it can't possibly be
worth it.)  Now, add the costs of making SUV's more fuel efficient,
emissions compliant and crash worthy (ever seen the statistics on how many
skull fractures occur when a pickup is rear ended and the occupant's head
whiplashes back into the rear glass window?) and watch their prices jack up
by 20%.  Now what will Suzy Soccer Mom buy?  Yep, the Vista Cruiser will
make a comeback. [possibly powered by Mr. Fusion :-)  ]

Tim Rogers
-93 NX T-top -needs wiring work
-91 NX - Racecar-to-be
-75 Silverado - Rusty Tow Beast - need to find a high-backed seat and
3-point harnesses.....