[SoCal-SERCA] Pre Streets prepwork Q's

KIERAN A. LAVIN kal8121@oak.njit.edu
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:26:20 -0600

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Ray Sta.Juana wrote:

> Anyways, any tips for us newbies on the track such as specific things to
> take care of before heading out to the track? I myself am bringing a set of

I'm sure others will beg to differ on some of the point I make but:

Wear long sleeves and long pants.  Not only is it safer in the car in the
unfortunate event of an accident, but it'll double as sunscreen.  You
should also bring sunscreen.  A cooler with some drinks would be a good
idea as well.  It gets hot being out in the sun all day long and driving
the car really takes a lot out of you!  Remove all items from inside the
car (as has been said in Carlos' e-mail last week)  He suggested making
sure the sub is fastened down - I'd take it a step further and completely
remove it.  As much as you think it's fastened, you *NEVER* know!  I had a
stupid plastic trim piece from my back seat come loose and wedge itself
under my clutch while trying to chase down a 911 at Watkins Glen.  I was
at enough of a disadvantage as it was!  Make sure you check your entire
car thoroughly.  Although it'll be teched, you'd still be better off
checking everything yourself.  Brakes (you said you bled them recently so
you should be ok), coolant (!), oil (don't laugh).  Another stupid thing
is to check your brake lights... those behind you wouldn't be too happy
(and neither would you) if you slam on the brakes and your rear lights
down work.

Other than that, just basically pay attention at the driver's meeting and
you should be ok.  If you're in the beginner group, just pay attention to
your instructor and learn a little.  If you're in the intermediate group,
don't be afraid to ask for help learning the track or whatnot.  As has
been pointed out to me many, many times, even instructors like to take
other instructors for rides to learn where they might change their ways
(or even learn a different approach to the same turn).  Last year when I
was running in the intermediate group, I asked Carlos for an instructor
since it was my first time on that track.  Not getting one and learning
the track on my own is a different story ;)  Don't be afraid to ask though
as there will be plenty of able-bodied individuals there to help you out!

I'm really looking forward to coming out and taking a mini-vacation and
seeing a bunch of you again as well as meeting some for the first time

kieran