Wandering 91

BJ Chippindale bjchip@attbi.com
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 16:22:09 -0600

My trusty steed is suffering a bit.  I had it
lowered for a couple of years (Eibach and Tokico)
but decided that the look and handling was not
worth the amount of metal being scraped off on
every speed bump in Pasadena (there are a lot),
and I don't race, so there really wasn't any
need.  Better have the stock springs on a "daily
driver".

So we put the stock springs back in.   Actually
I let the shop I work with do it.  Beck does
excellent work and is honest to a fault.  He also
drives his own 92.

The car got realigned OK, but wandered. We went
through the CV joints, tie rod ends and ball joints
with multiple checks of the alignment along the
way.  Changing CV and tie-rods "helped" but there
is still a problem.  I think the upper engine mount
is needing replacement (what is it supposed to
look like?) and will do that shortly on spec,
but I would like to know if anyone on the list has
ever seen the like of this or has any suggestions.

The car is OK at low speed, but at 40+ it can take
a "set" either way, with the wheel needing a few
extra degrees of twist to correct it. Feeling is
squirrely but at constant power it tracks straight.
Trailing throttle produces a distinctly unsettling
drift left, while power on produces more torque
steer than I am used to feeling from this car, which
I have owned since it was a pup.

Could it have been like this but "masked" by the
lowered stance?  I've had torque steer forever, but
the car before this was a Mirage Turbo, so I thought
it was nothing at all... now it feels like that Mirage
but with crummy steering coupling.

Thanks

bj