raising idle

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 19:34:55 -0600

Pete wrote:
 >> I am pretty sure the ECU will just try and pull the idle back anyway by
closing off the AIV.
I think this is written in the ECU code as the target idle and the ECU ends
up fighting to try and bring it back to 800. You will probably end up with
an idle that simply won't settle down and just jumps around.<<

What we are setting is the -base- idle, which is the idle when the engine is
fully warmed up, no extra load (lights, stereo, A/C, power steering being
turned at idle, cold start-up conditions) to cause it to need extra air.
Any additional load or need for RPM's will then cause the computer to open
the IACV to raise the power that the motor is making.
At least that is how I understand it.  You can check
http://www.se-r.net/car_info/problems/index.html#Erratic%20Idle%20and%20jump
ing%20idle
and draw your own conclusions.

Tim Rogers