Does Lowering ONE END of a CAR causes weight transfertowards this end?

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:10:22 -0600

Chris Pronios <hpro@b-link.gr> wrote

>However, the question was more basic than you took it to be.

Nope.  Wayne got it right.

>I am not concerned about corner weighting. Do not forget that usually in
>corner weighting the TOTAL weight on both of the rear/front wheels remains
>the same, does it not???

Nope.

>The diagonal total may change but the total car weight (sum on all 4
wheels)
>and the per-axle weight (sum of 2 front and sum of 2 rear) does not change.
>Am I wrong in this respect?

You are wrong.  Total vehicle weight remains the same, but you can move the
weight around.  You do *not* preserve the weight at each end.

>What I was asking was: If I lower the rear springs on their perches by
>exactly equal ammounts and leave the from unchanged, does the rear wheels
>receive some of the weight from the fronts (and hence, since the total
>vehicle weight does not change, the front wheels receive less weight than
>before?

Yes.

More weight will be carried by the rear wheels in this case.  Now, we are
not talking enough to balance the weight carried by each end of the car,
but enough to affect handling.
To reiterate, Wayne did get it exactly correct.

George Roffe
91 SE-R paperweight with stuff
91 G20 with DET and stuff
84 944 SCCA ITS racecar under construction