Non-SE-R: GM OHV engines

Michael Jez 93SER@attbi.com
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:42:45 -0600

One thing OHV engines got over OHC engines is torque off the line, they aint
got shit for top end. Only thing that actually has balls for top end is a
ZO6 Vette, but even that don't make power past 6K RPM. Most OHV engines run
to like 5K RPM. Only reason GM is continuing to make OHV engines is that
they are cheap and reather build acient shit like their old 2.8L V6 which is
basis for the current 3.4 and 3.8L engines they put in cars such as Grand
Prix, Ams, Aleros, minivans. They build the 350 for like 50 years and have
not changed much. Their new engines will be like 190HP from a 3.5L V6, where
Nissan can cook out 290HP from the same displacement and still get better
gas mileage and emissions. I remember the old Z24 Cavaliers with 3.1L V6 had
120 whoppn HP. Thats like less than 60HP per liter, cars felt fast off the
line but didn't have much afterwards. Cast iron blocks, heads, etc is acient
technology.
Mike Jez
DOHC lover.