Rear strut tower brace material

Gerald.Kloth@ipst.edu Gerald.Kloth@ipst.edu
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 12:11:19 -0600

>I chose turn polished at the suggestion of one of the owners of a local
>outfit,
>Steel and Marshall, he claims the material cost won't be significant,
>and it's
>considerably stronger/stiffer than cold rolled, and he says it won't
>cost hardly
>any more.

Many people are under the impression that stronger steel is also
stiffer.  This is not so.  The modulus of elasticity (stiffness, resistance
to deformation) in tension & compression of all steels is nearly the same
at 30,000,000 lbs/sq. in.  as long as it is loaded within its elastic
limits.  What you will get with T,G&P stock is a much better surface finish
and a much straighter bar.  It will have less tendency to warp when welded
than cold rolled stock because CR stock has a lot of built-in stress from
the rolling process.

Jerry Kloth
ol' 97 with 208,000 miles and counting