engine rebuild help

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 20:24:35 -0600

Shawn, Butterglry@aol.com wrote:

>ahhh, ok heres the deal, im putting together my second turbo motor tonight
>and i cant get #4 piston to drop in the bore. ive checked every clearance
>according to the fsm and everything is kosher but it still stops at the top
>compression ring. i have the correct grade piston and all the other pistons
>went in without a sweat so why is this one hanging up? any suggestions?

First of all, I assume you've checked the ring gap and found that at the
very least, there is indeed a gap.

Second, if it's hanging upon the ring, the ring is your problem, or more
specifically, your piston ring tool is probably not tight enough.  It's a
tough call how tight to go however.  Not tight enough and the piston hangs
up.  Too tight and it won't slide into the block.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
http://www.nissport.com