*Update* - 5th gear snap ring (Not popout problem)

Thomas Reynolds fthomasr@bellsouth.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:47:03 -0600

Ok well I have an update to my tranny situation. After reviewing the
internals I decided it would cost more to repair than to just start over
with a new salvage tranny. The differential race was pitted, as was the
input shaft race as Larry pointed out. Not only that, but I wasn't too
comfortable with the case being worn. So with several $50 bearings, all of
5th gear assembly and the $180 input shaft toasted it was an easy decision.

After several failed tranny deals and 2 full work days just driving looking
at tranny's, I finally located and purchased a '96 tranny for $400 today
with 63k miles. I opened it up tonight and did a general inspection. Very
clean inside and had clearly never been opened before. Fifth gear looks
quite good, with the all important snap ring very much intact, flat and
seated correctly. Unfortunately on 4th gear, a few of the inset synchro
teeth (the ones on the gear itself) look worn and have small pieces missing
while MOST of the teeth look fine which is odd to me. Although it is hard
for me to determine what is normal wear and tear. Keep in mind (I kept
telling myself) this is not a brand new tranny. Third gear inset sychro
teeth were better yet the brass synchros had flat facings on their sides,
with 2nd and 1st also exhibiting the same brass synchro wear pattern.

No offense but with lower than average mileage for a '96 model and also
knowing what sex the B14's appealed to the most, I would guess this car was
driven by a female. Either that or a nerdy guy. :)

Everything else inside, shift forks, shift rod assembly, case, bearings,
races, etc., looked pretty darn good and clean. I went back an examined my
old tranny's main shaft and while mine also has some wear on those same
inset teeth, it is much, much better.
So my question is: Why not just swap in my old tranny's main shaft as a
complete piece?

Please speak up if you can think of a reason why this could be a bad thing.
And those of you who have rebuilt and inspected tranny's, what are the real
tell tale signs of the synchro teeth (gear inset and baulk ring)being
destroyed or acceptable normal wear and tear?

Thanks.

Thomas
'97 200SX SE-R
F-Max Stage II Turbo