How much nitrous can an sr20 handle?

cowboydren@b15sentra.net cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:22:57 -0600

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 05:44:38PM -0600, Bruce.Hearn@cd-tech.com wrote:

> ~425 hp via turbo, and since nitrous is just another way to cram more
> oxygen into the motor, like a turbo, whatever the turbo guys can attain

I dunno; turbos *feel* less violent than nitrous.  Maybe I'm just buying
into too much Good Ol' Boy Tuning Advice, but I don't think that the
above statement is all-inclusive.  IIRC, the first thing to go on 400 HP
turbo motors are the rings, which I bet would be long-gone before 400 HP
on an N2O-equipped car.  I'm a monkey, though.  What Bruce said is
chemically correct, but real life and chemistry are often sligthly
different things.

> should be what a nitrous car can obtain. Transmission life will be short if
> it's not babied, however. Limiting factor is really the transmission, at

Indeed.  Again, unless you have a very progressive system, I think one
would need to over-build to an extreme to get any survivability out of
it.

> about 300 hp. Engine must be prepped just like a DET to survive much
> "boost".

That would be ideal, I suppose.  8.5-8:1 compression, sodium-filled
valves would be neat, and big injectors never hurt anyone.  Naturally
you'd want a header and at *least* a 2.25" exhaust to get the hot stuff
out.

The poster asked about several things; the best setup by far is still
the JWT Wolfkit N2O delivery system.  Starting with a 50-shot, and going
up to I have no idea how much horsepower, it's still the best way,
hands-down.  It's also pretty expensive; as expensive as a Venom
VCN-2000, for reference.  But with sixteen stages of delivery, probably
having the drag-launch program, not to mention the other things you can
have tacked on while the computer is at JWT, it doesn't get more trick
than that, nor does it get any safer.  I bet there's information in the
Archives...:)

--
-=|JP|=-        "It's like a koala crapped a rainbow in my brain..."

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |