Mucho confusion: Hypercoils vs. Prokits

Chris Scarpulla sr20de@optonline.net
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 17:42:04 -0600

Nick,

I'm the guy who ran the Gen2 deal on the forum. My neighbor Bill has the
1st gen Hyperco's with AGX's, I *had* Prokits with AGX's, and now, of
course, I have the 2nd Gen  Hyperco's with AGX's. I think qualifies me to
answer your questions. :)

The Gen1's ride and handle much, much better than ProKits. You've heard the
complaints about ProKits time and time again, to soft, too bouncy, always
bottoming. Gen 1's will rarely bottom on the street, are not bouncy, the
ride is much more controlled, and *much* more comfortable.

The Gen1's *are low*, especially the back. Measuring from the hub center
(which removes the tire size from the equation) straight up to the fender
lip, the Gen1's are 12 1/2" front, 11 1/4" rear. The Gen 2's measure 13"
Front, 12 1/2" rear. I don't have stock measurements. Bear in mind, I
haven't verified the street to be absolutely level, but these numbers are
good enough for comparison.

On my car with the Gen 2's, the tire to fender gap is equal and the car
stance is completely level. Looking at some pictures and notes I have, the
ProKits are 1/4" lower than Gen 2's front and 1/2" lower rear. So the
Gen1's are lowest, followed by ProKits and then Gen2's.

The Gen2's are rated at 300lbs front, 200lbs rear, which is higher than
both the ProKits and Gen1's. I'm not an autocrosser, so I can't comment on
them in that regard, but I will tell you that the Gen2's are superior to
the 1's. Again, even less float, less body roll, and less chance of
bottoming. The Gen2's have received very good reviews which you can read
here:
http://www.sr20deforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27432&highlight=hyper
co

Here are some pictures for you to peruse:
http://www.sr20deforum.com/chris/springs/GenComparison/
http://www.sr20deforum.com/chris/springs/GenComparison/thumbs/

If you're currently running the ProKits, and like the low look of the Gen1
Hyperco's, you will be very happy with them.

Please keep in mind, that all measurements, and ride impressions are on
cars with AGX's. You *will* need at least AGX's for either generation
Hyperco. I don't think Tokico Blues, or KYB GR2's will damp them properly.

For anyone interested, I have a few sets of Gen2 Hyperco's available. See
here:
http://www.sr20deforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28884

Cheers,
Chris