block prep for new pistons

Stewart, Joe (COX-Atlanta) Joe.Stewart@cox.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:09:53 -0500

>I think if the marks are visible, and there's no damage you could just
slap in new pistons.

Just cause the marks are visible doesn't mean too much. The important
part of honing a block is the ridges on the edges of the crosshatch.
These are required to wear the bore pattern into the rings so that they
seat properly. If you are throwing back in a matched set of used rings
that came out of the same motor, same pistons and same bore, you are
fine. But if they are new rings (I wouldn't install anything but new
rings) then they will need to seat properly, a proper crosshatch with
proper ridges is key to these sealing properly.

Besides, a ball hone is $30. Honing takes no more than an hour, cleanup
is the hardest part. Don't risk having to pull a motor again because of
$30 and an hour's time.

-Jay