CAI on turbo

Brian Cembor bcembor@fastenal.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:26:21 -0500

Conversely compressed air that is released quickly drops in temperature
dramatically. Hence the chill that comes over compressed air horns, those
"cans of air" for cleaning electronics, and pneumatic cylinders. I believe
this is the third law of thermodynamics... I may be wrong on that, been a
while since physics. :-P

A CAI is good on a turbo for the simple fact that the temp differential will
be less of a negative effect if the air at time of compression is lower than
the that of the engine temp, so when it does go into the IC it has a more
positive effect on combustion than ambient or engine temp air...

Or I could be talking out my arse...

Brian

	Compressing air heats it. It's heated by an amount based on the
	efficiency and a bunch of other math (see above). This amount of
heat is
	added upon the temp of the air coming in. Cold air is good. Engines
like
	cold air.

	-Jay