CAI on turbo

cowboydren@b15sentra.net cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:36:45 -0500

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 02:36:49PM -0500, John Campbell wrote:

> Well, curiosity took me to the archives but to no avail.

The topic does come up occasionally.  I think twice since last August
when I Joined. :)

> I am trying to find evidence that a CAI would benefit a turbo'd engine. To

I think Mike's ignoring some geek terms here, but I'm not sure.  I seem
to remember that the compressor stage of the intake tract mostly
increases the intake temperature by a given amount at a given boost
level regardless of what the original temperature; 100* incoming air
becomes 220* compressed air; 120* incoming air becomes 240* compressed
air.  DON'T quote me, DO correct me if I have this wrong.  Even if it's
a non-linear rate, common sense still says that the cooler you start,
the cooler it'll be when you're done compressing it.

The hardest part is packaging, though.  Neat tip; a "short ram" style
intake kit for a '90-93 Accord works pretty nicely with an OEM-style
turbo setup, but doesn't bring in cold air.  It's just a lot prettier
than hacking up the Bluebird or Avenir IMP intake tract. :)

--
-=|JP|=-        "It's like a koala crapped a rainbow in my brain..."

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |